If you have any concerns about the use of snares, anywhere in the UK, you can share them with us on the SnareWatch website.

You can tell us if your pet was caught in a snare, report findings of animals trapped in snares, raise concerns about possible illegal misuse of snares or simply let us know if you’re worried about snares you have seen in a particular area.

If you discover what you believe to be an illegal snare, you should contact the local police, and try to provide the exact location where the snare or snares were seen, with a map reference if possible.

Many police forces have special wildlife crime officers. Check the website of your local police force, where details about the wildlife crime officer may be shown. You can also ring your local police station using its usual non-emergency number and ask to speak to the Wildlife Crime Officer. As with all other reports, you should ask to be given an incident number for reference in future.

If you do not wish to give your name you can contact Crimestoppers on: 0800 555 111. They will pass on details about wildlife crime to the correct police force. Calling Crimestoppers is free on a landline, will not appear on your phone bill and their promise of anonymity has never been broken.

The police number you need to call will depend where you are in the UK. For more information see:

Find a police force (England and Wales)

Report a wildlife crime in Scotland

Police service of Northern Ireland

National Wildlife Crime Unit


Tel: 0800 555 111